There’s never a bad time to start saving for your summer vacation, even during it. Yep, you’ve booked all the flights and the hotel rooms are ready to go, but that doesn’t mean you can’t easily start to spend more money than you planned. It’s important to think of ways to save some money WHILE you’re on vacation in addition to planning for it.
Of course, if you’re planning to bring the family to Disney World you may need to change how you save rather than if you’re simply heading to the Poconos to get out of the Lehigh Valley for a long weekend. That being said, here are a few money saving trips for your summer vacation no matter where you’re headed.
1. Pack your own snacks: This tip can work for nearly any vacation. It’s very easy to start spending a lot of money on dining out or stopping for snacks. If you prepare as many as you can ahead of time, you’re going to be less tempted to buy snacks or maybe even head in for lunch if you don’t need to.
2. Save on Getting Around: Depending on where you are, transportation options may be vastly different. You may vacation in an area that has fantastic public transportation, which means you may not have to spend money on a rental car. If you’re not taking a lot of trips, ridesharing apps like Uber and Lyft can also be helpful and save rather than spending a larger amount of money on a rental.
3. Look for free things to do: There’s a lot to be said for exploring off the beaten path. Sure, if you’re in Disney World, you may be limited in your free exploring options, but nearly everywhere has free things to, places to discover, and fun to be had. Take the extra time to see what’s out there and leave the wallet behind. Well, not totally behind, just metaphorically.
4. Set a budget for what you’ll spend: We understand that vacations are a prime time for unexpected purchases, which makes it all the more important to do your best to stay within a budget for souvenirs and other items. Don’t ruin your fun by pinching pennies, but be vigilant enough that you don’t regret all that spending when you come home.
5. Save on your pet: Some pets are perfect vacation companions, so why leave them at home? If you’re able to get a pet-friendly hotel, go for it! It’ll save on the cost of boarding your pet and you’ll be able to include them in your vacation.
There are many other ways to save during your vacation. Just be a little creative and you’ll have the best summer yet.